Frequently Asked Questions about Kuppmen Carbon Fiber Drumsticks
The main difference is strength; Carbon Fiber Drumsticks last up to 10 times longer. They’re also black rather than wood-colored. A third, more minor difference is the sound they create on the ride cymbal, which is slightly more open. Overall though, there are more similarities than differences. In terms of shape, size, balance, rebound, flexibility and weight, our drumsticks are identical to their wooden brothers.
No! We really want to eradicate this misconception, because the opposite is true. Our Carbon Fiber Drumsticks are ultra-controllable in terms of vibration, balance and rebound. And just as flexible as all wooden drumsticks. You’ll also notice that small indentations appear in our sticks through playing on your hi-hat or crash cymbals. This is exactly what should happen, as it makes them less stressful to your wrists. Still need more convincing? Visit our web shop.
Yes. The sound of the toms, snare, hi-hat and crash cymbals is exactly the same when playing with Carbon Fiber Drumsticks as with wooden drumsticks of the same weight. Playing your ride cymbal can sound very slightly different, but that also applies for different brands of wooden sticks. We have made a short film so you can hear the difference; watch the film here
Carbon Fiber drumsticks last up to 10 times longer than wooden drumsticks. Wooden drumsticks last on average 3 to 5 hours (our Rock experience); our drumsticks last 30 to 50 hours. Carbon Fiber Drumsticks break only after much intensive use as a result of material fatigue. They break into two clean pieces, without any dangerous splitting or splintering as with wooden sticks.
(The exact lifespan of your sticks will depend on several factors, such as whether you play alone or with a band, what style of music you play, your posture when drumming, and your technique).
No more than wooden drumsticks can. Incidentally, the main cause of cymbal damage is not your sticks but tiny hairline cracks in the cymbal. These can occur due to the use of a non-hard shell cymbal case that does not protect the cymbals properly. Dropping cymbals can also cause hairline cracks. The cracks are often invisible to the naked eye, but these will increase in size when played, causing even more damage.
The raw materials we use to make the Carbon Fiber Drumsticks are black. If we were to add dyes (e.g. yellow) during the manufacturing process, it would reduce the quality and the longevity of the sticks. That’s why they are currently only available in black.
During the development and manufacturing of the Carbon Fiber Drumsticks, a great deal of attention is paid to the following ten features:
- Longevity; guaranteed thanks to the combination of raw materials and the production process used.
- Breakage & safety; when material fatigue eventually sets in, the sticks break cleanly in two and do not splinter.
- Damp & humidity: our Carbon Fiber Drumsticks absorb moisture from the air, just as wooden sticks do.
- Straightness & warping; our Carbon Fiber Drumsticks are made straight and stay straight. Even after long-term use under any circumstances, they do not warp and become deformed.
- Dents & scratches; the surface allows small dents and scratches to be made, unlike wooden sticks, which over time shed splinters and pieces of wood. The result is that our drumsticks are long-lasting, consistent and reliable.
- Balance/point of support; the production processes used for our Carbon Fiber Drumsticks enables us to determine the point of balance/support. This is an often-overlooked detail that affects rebound. This is not possible with wood.
- Vibration; the stiffness of the stick can be controlled, which has a direct effect on the vibration. Being able to control excess vibrations is important for the player’s muscles and soft tissue health.
- Flexibility; our drumsticks are just as flexible as wooden sticks.
- Grip & feel; the surface of the Carbon Fiber Drumsticks is invisibly porous. In order that the stick does not become slippery, perspiration and damp permeate the surface more so than with wooden sticks, which are often covered with a layer of varnish. Since the moisture cannot be absorbed by the homogenous core of the stick, it also evaporates immediately as a result of body heat. The result: excellent grip.
- Health; the production methods and materials used to make our Carbon Fiber Drumsticks are non-toxic and not dangerous to humans.
Kuppmen Music can supply the 5A – 5B and 7A models.
- 5A: Diameter: 14.2 mm | Length: 40.5 cm
- 5B: Diameter: 15.1 mm | Length: 40.5 cm
- 7A: Diameter: 13.5 mm | Length: 39.3 cm
We have made an overview for you to help you choose the best stick:
The most common drumstick models are 5A, 5B and 7A. These are all included in our collection. The number indicates the circumference of the stick; the lower the number, the larger the circumference. 5A is therefore thicker than 7A.
What is your music style?
The model of drumstick you choose is partly determined by the style of music you play. 7A, for example, is suitable for more gentle music such as jazz. If you play rock or metal, 5B is more suitable due to its thickness. The 5A is the bestselling drumstick; an all-rounder.
See our web shop for our full collection, prices and special offers.
Frequently Asked Questions about Kuppmen Carbon Fiber Drumrods
Our Carbon Fiber Drumrods consist of 7 combined carbon rods with the diameter and length of a ‘normal’ drumstick.
There are several. The big difference is that Carbon Fiber Drumrods last at least 30 times longer than wooden rods. Secondly, unlike wooden rods, they have the same diameter as drumsticks, so they feel better in your hands. Thirdly, they have more attack and make a slightly higher sound than wooden rods. This is due to the difference in material. You can compensate for this by tuning your drum kit a little lower.
That’s the exact reason we make them. It’s best to think of them as a cross between brushes and drumsticks. They’re ideal for small venues where band volume needs to be a little quieter, like pubs and theatres. Your audience and bandmates will both appreciate it. It’s also a revelation to feel, as a drummer, that you actually have a stick in your hands when at the same time being able to make your drums up to 20db quieter.
Yes and no. They feel like drumsticks because they have the same diameter, you can drum normally with them, yet the experience is just that bit different. You just have to experience it. That’s why it’s an absolute must to try playing with our rods. You can play gently and, if necessary, loudly.
Anything and everything. You can still play rock or funk with a more gentle drum volume, but they can also be used for genres such as jazz.
Your drums sound softer, up to 20 db. That means greater control of your band’s sound – and an end to common problems like vocals being drowned out. Plus, there’s the great cost advantage compared to wooden rods; our rods last at least 30 times longer, but they’re most definitely not 30 times the price.
It depends on usage, but at least 30 times longer than wooden drumrods.
It’s not necessary, but we advise you to tune your drum kit slightly lower to compensate for the slightly lighter attack of the rod.
See our web shop for our full collection, prices and special offers.
Frequently Asked Questions about Kuppmen Music services
We package the sticks for you ourselves and hand them over to the delivery service. If you live in the Netherlands, they will be delivered to you within 48 hours. If you live outside the Netherlands, but within Europe, they will be delivered to you within 3 to 5 days.
If you order two sets or more, delivery is free. If you order one set, we charge EUR 2.50 for delivery.
Please see our web shop for payment options.
No, the sticks are too long for standard letterboxes. Depending on your preference, the sticks can be delivered to you by PostNL or can be collected from your chosen collection point.
Yes, we deliver to addresses throughout Europe. Please note that deliveries outside the Netherlands take longer. See also 1. Postage and packaging costs outside the Netherlands and within Europe are as follows: if you order two sets or more, delivery is free. If you order one set, we charge EUR 2.50 for delivery.
No, our sticks can only be purchased from this website. See our web shop for our full collection, prices and special offers.
To us. If you are dissatisfied with your sticks or our service, or if you have any burning questions for us, don’t hesitate to let us know. We will be happy to help you, just contact us here.
Kuppmen Music was set up by drummers, for drummers. We provide the highest quality sticks and the best and most personal service. Our drumsticks last much longer than wooden drumsticks and we are confident in saying that when it comes to carbon fiber drumsticks, ours are the best. Give us a try!